The 2003 season was the breakout season for the Atchison Racing Team as Rob Atchison and the Team used their 2002 5th place finish in IHRA Funny Car points as a springboard to vault them to the top of the Funny Car ranks in 2003. Running the Erickson Manufacturing sponsored Pontiac Firebirds driver Rob Atchison and the crew dominated the IHRA circuit with 6 wins, 2 runner-ups and 9 # 1 qualifiers. The London, Ontario Canada based team is the only Chevrolet based engine running regularly in IHRA Alcohol Funny Car series running Alan Johnson based 481X engines built at Atchison Machine Service in London.
2004 saw Rob and the team visit the winner’s circle 3 more times with 6 runner-up and 9 # 1 qualifiers becoming the first IHRA Funny Car team ever to go to 8 final rounds in successive seasons on their way to “Back to Back” IHRA Funny Car Championships. After falling way behind after the first 6 races the talented team regrouped and fought their way back winning the championship at the World Finals in Rockingham.
The 2005 season was yet another year of dominance as Rob and Crew recorded 7 wins, 1 runner-up and 9 # 1 qualifiers on their way to their 3rd straight championship and 3rd straight season with 8 final round appearances. To add to their fantastic season Rob became the first ever IHRA Funny Car to run a 5.60 when he set the IHRA ET record with a 5.694 at the World Finals at Rockingham. He then lowered the record with a stunning 5.685 record setting pass becoming the quickest Roots blowered Alcohol Funny Car ever.
A native of London, Ontario Canada Rob is the leading Canadian in IHRA victories with 16 wins and 8 runner-ups. Rob is following in his father’s footsteps as a second generation racer, after Bob his father had raced many years in Top Fuel on the local tracks in Canada and North Eastern United States. Rob and Bob won the DragRaceCanada Pro Driver and Crew Chief respectively in 2005 to go with their IHRA Pro Driver and Pro Crew Chief of the Year in 2003.
The 2006 season the Erickson Manufacturing sponsored team will continue to run IHRA Funny Car as well as selected NHRA Divisional Races in their new 2006 Monte Carlo Funny Cars.
IHRA Career Highlights
- Became quickest and fastest true Chevy powered Alcohol Funny Car in 1999 6.05 @ 215 mph
- Won "Best Engineered Pro Car 1999 IHRA Amalie Summer Nationals
- Won 1st Ironman at 2003 Mopar Canadian Nationals at Grand Bend Motorplex
- Won 6 Ironmen, 2 runner-ups with 9 # 1 qualifiers on way to 2003 IHRA-Hooters World Championship
- Won 2003 IHRA Pro Driver of the Year and father Bob won IHRA Pro Crew Chief of the Year
- 5.727 run at Grand Bend fastest Roots blowered pass in Canada
- Won 3 Ironmen, 5 runner-up and 9 #1 qualifiers on way to 2004 IHRA-Hooters World Championship
- First Funny Car Driver to go to 8 final rounds in consecutive seasons
- Won 7 Ironmen, 1 runner-up and 8# 1 qualifiers on way to third straight IHRA Funny Car Championship in 2005
- Became first IHRA Funny Car ever to run a 5.60 run eventually establishing the reord at 5.685 at 247.07 mph.
- 4th in IHRA Career Victories with 16
- Canadian Career Leader in IHRA Funny Car Victories with 16 and 24 final round appearances
- Voted Drag Race Canada’s Pro Driver of the Year and father Bob Pro Crew Chief of the Year.
Visit team website at: www.atchisonracing.com
Sponsor: Erickson Manufacturing (www.ericksonmfg.com).
Associate Sponsors: Atchison Machine Service Inc., MacMaster Chevrolet, Pennzoil Lubricants, Performance Racing News, Team Truck Centre, Tool & Cutter Supply, Ultimate Touch Auto Body, West Coast Transportation
Product Sponsors: Aeroquip Performance Hose, Clevite Engine Bearings, Contact Welding Supplies, CRC Canada, Crane Cams, Flatout Gaskets, Gates Belts and Hose, Hoosier Racing Tires, JET Tools and Equipment, JE Pistons, Lenco Transmissions, Lor-Don Sheet Metal, Manley Performance, Moroso Performance, NGK Spark Plugs, Permatex Canada, PMC Canada, Ramjet Racing Products, Speed Pro Piston Rings, Torco Race Fuels, Trend Performance Products , United Muffler, Weld Wheels