Here we go Western Canada! A highly anticipated 14th version Mopar Rocky Mountain Nationals is on tap for this weekend at Castrol Raceway…..
Presented by valued sponsor Mopar Canada – the 2nd longest running annual event for Canada promises some high drama and great competition — here is a summary of just some of the things to look for:
With the recent announcement about the elimination of the IHRA World Nationals from the 2016 schedule, the AMSOIL Nitro Funny and Nitro Motorcycle teams only have two more chances to bring home an Ironman and solidify their top spots in the point standings. The Mopar Rocky Mountain Nationals presented by Good Vibrations will serve as a pinnacle event in determining who will be crowned the 2016 IHRA World Champions in those classes.
The AMSOIL Nitro Funny Car class has the tightest points battle ever heading into Castrol Raceway in Edmonton, Alberta this weekend. The current top-five in this class are entered into the event and will face off against local. There is only a 60-point difference between current points leader Jason Rupert and fifth-place driver Tim Boychuk.
In Parts Canada Nitro Motorcycle, two champions will have an opportunity to battle it out on the dragstrip as 2014 IHRA Nitro Motorcycle champion, Mike Scott has a motorcycle entered into the Mopar Rocky Mountain Nationals presented by Good Vibrations. Ironically enough it is a bike owned by 2015 champion Jay Turner. Turner is a four-time IHRA World Champion and is looking to defend his title this weekend. He has a 70-point lead over Jake Stordeur.
Over a dozen classes will compete Friday, July 15 – Sunday, July 17 at Castrol Raceway. The on-track action will include a mixture of professional classes as well as local racers competing in the IHRA Summit Pro-Am Tour. The professional classes include: AMSOIL Nitro Funny Car, Parts Canada Nitro Motorcycle, Pro Mod, Top Fuel and 6.95 Funny Car. With special appearances by Hayden Proffitt’s jet truck, and local favorites “mater” and “Secret Weapon” jet tank.
Did you know?:
• For Canadian-born and AMSOIL Nitro Funny Car driver Tim Boychuk Edmonton is home. Boychuk is the only Canadian driver who competes full-time in the IHRA circuit, and has one race win this year.
• The 2015 winners of the Mopar Rocky Mountain Nationals include:
◦ AMSOIL Nitro Funny Car – Jason Rupert
◦ Parts Canada Nitro Motorcycle – Kevin Boyer
◦ Pro Modified – Glen Kerunsky
◦ Top Fuel – Bruce Litton
◦ Pro 6.90 – Cal Tebb
• Parts Canada is the official sponsor of the Nitro Motorcycle class at the Mopar Rocky Mountain Nationals presented by Good Vibrations. Parts Canada is a national distributor of aftermarket parts and accessories for the Canadian power sports industry. They have distribution centers located in Calgary and London, with the ability to offer next day delivery from coast to coast.
• The IHRA and Castrol Raceway are celebrating 14 years of hosting Canada’s largest drag racing event together.
• Castrol Raceway is offering fans a “Thunder Alley Experience,” which includes a deluxe “members only” hospitality center, exclusive reserved grandstand seating, a complimentary hospitality buffet on Saturday and Sunday, complimentary beverages, semi-private restrooms, a private cash bar, exclusive driver autograph sessions, a gift bag with an exclusive collector cap, a preferred parking pass with the purchase of four seats, and the option to renew or change seats annually. Visit www.CastrolRaceway.com for more information.
• Each ticket includes free access to the pit area. Fans have an opportunity to see their favorite driver and team in-person for autographs and to watch them work on their vehicles.
Mopar Rocky Mountain Nationals presented by Good Vibrations Entry List:
AMSOIL Nitro Funny Car
1. Jason Rupert
2. Mike McIntire Jr.
3. Mark Sanders
4. Tim Boychuk
5. Shawn Bowen
6. Jason Bussey
7. Nathan Sitko
8. Clint Thompson
9. Ryan Hodgson
10. Jay Mageau
Parts Canada Nitro Motorcycle
1. Jay Turner
2. Frank Capone
3. Jake Stordeur
4. Tracy Kile
5. Andy Beauchemin
6. Mike Scott
7. Lyle Newton
8. Kevin Boyer
9. Nate Gagnon
The Mopar Rocky Mountain Nationals presented by Good Vibrations features professional racing and Summit Pro-Am Tour excitement over the course of three days. The action kicks off Friday, July 15 at 6:50 p.m. with pre-race ceremonies followed by round one of professional qualifying. Tickets are available at www.CastrolRaceway.com
The event will also feature a bonus Canada versus USA Top Fuel match racing featuring Indiana’s Bruce Litton versus Calgary’s David Fedorowich.
Fedorowich currently races Western Canada’s only Top Fueler – the Dark Side Racing dragster – a community focused and family owned machine operated by David, Kelly and Nikolas Fedorowich.
Here the event schedule:
Posted with files by Shayna Keller and Bruce Biegler
DragRaceCanada File Photos